Wednesday, October 30, 2002

Paul the chameleon
Sometimes I feel like I would be an ideal resident of Oceania, because if someone told me that we had always been at war with Eastasia, then I would certainly believe that we had always been at war with Eastasia.

What I mean by this is that I adapt very quickly into new surroundings. It doesn't take me long after moving into a new milieu to feel like I've been there forever, or at least for a very long time. (This is true, I think, in both the physical and social sense.) This might seem, on the surface, to be a useful trait, and it is in some cases; I don't really get homesick, for example. The downside is more subtle, but I think it might be more pernicious than it seems: because I feel so comfortable in my surroundings, I often don't get to really know them as well as I should.

I suppose there's some kind of moral to this story, but I'll leave it to the reader to find.

No comments: